Today the forms of political and social totalitarianism are shown with camouflage clothing. During the election campaigns is common to make proposals and then they aren’t fulfilled. (I remember a cartoon, a politician who made a proposal in front of his audience, saying the following measure: “create 30.000 seats for childhood education”, at the same time a voice from behind the curtain said “and tell them, also a ham”.
The panacea of the democracy starts to be questioned. The same politicians make colossal efforts so that the indifference from the citizen don’t deprive them their legitimacy by their abstention and blank votes. It has taken into account that the “omnipotent general will” has gone too far to intend to legitimise it, when doesn’t legalize, living, dying and thinking.
The citizen is mistrustful by the promising ideologies of heavens; on the contrary, he wants to regain the role of the people and the society: sincerity, honesty, loyalty, initiative, creativity, traditions, be part of a cultural and professional associations, basic rights, the common good (…..), and rejects the totalitarianism and arrogance of political power, when it usurps areas and issues that are not within its competence.
The totalitarianism of the states constructed artificially, subduing towns, it doesn’t only happen in the great empires, it happens in countries and regions of reduced worldwide significance. Along with the demands of recovery of the identity and sovereignty itself, the new protagonists, the established power, sectors of the same society, they can impose attitudes and a better behaviour, lack of openness and solidarity. Paradoxically, in the old Europe we are feeling these contradictions ; affirmation of itself and denial of the diversity; internationalization and regionalization; solidarity and exclusion – racism (…). Likewise (culture, customs, language) is making us forget basic principles such as human dignity, sociability, freedom, comunication and understanding, solidarity, the fate of means for the common good (…).
Returning to the issue, we will list some attitudes and manifestations, expression of what we call totalitarianism nowadays and that everyone can identify, in various forms, in specific situations of his life. This reflection can help to overcome indifference and passivity of people and society.
* It is arrogance and despotism the attitude to prevent the legitimate autonomy of people and society. Although be alleged the reasons of the majority, this doesn’t justify the foolishness and doesn’t exculpate the mistakes since our mistake suppored by the foolishness of many people rises to the (n) power intead of justifying it.
* It is despotism when different positions are excluded instead of the own positions because there is a concern to play without advantage in the field of reason and freedom. Disarming to the another denying equality or depriving of his legitimate freedom to let him a dialogue in inferior conditions, when it does’t happen he is subdued from the power advantages.
* It is a form of totalitarianism, the position of the denial of the objectivity and truth, reducing everything to the opinion which is often rigged and ready to inhabilitate the judgement and the reasoned opinions.
* It is judged erroneously when those expressions are divulged such as: the state is equal to public utility and the private is the same as the selfishness.
* It is despotic to make decissions forced by the majority of people, when we know that a minority has their rights and objective reasons that could be harmonized in a more open stage.
* It is wrong to identify democracy and truth as the procedure to decide by the majority can be successful or erroneous. Moreover, the institutions can be legitimate for established issues but if the majority of people become an arbiter in matters that don’t have to touch, it will appear personal and sociable points.